Passage for this week: 1 John 1:9
Resource: Pray The Word Podcast by David Platt
How to use this resource: The questions below should be read after you and your family have spent time listening to the resource, and after you have had time to read through the passage carefully and slowly. Following your family time discussion (using the questions below, or your own questions regarding this text), close in prayer and ask your kids how you can be praying for them and let them know how they can be praying for you as parents.
Family Devotional Question For This Week:
1. What stands out to you the most from reading this passage? What did you learn that is new to you from this passage? What did you learn that caused you to remember something you’ve known, or what has been reinforced from reading this passage?
2. How is God Just in forgiving sins – how can justice be forgiveness?
(Potential answers: As David explains to us this week, God is just in executing judgment against sin. in a court of law, a just judge rightfully executes justice on any breaking of the law. so, justice is seen in executing the payment for the breaking of the law – any of it. when Jesus’s perfect life was spent on the cross, he was paying the price for all of our sin that we would commit. so, God can still be both just because our sin debt has still been paid for (by christ, on our behalf) and the justifier of our souls as the only one through which eternal life can come (Romans 3:26).)
3. As a family, talk about this passage for a bit. What does God’s grace in your life look like? what have you been forgiven of? How is your life now marked by God’s forgiveness in such a way that is evident to others around you?
(Potential answers: This is more of a personal question, so there might be benefit to sharing your testimony – the time in your life that you recognized your clear need for forgiveness and when you knew you needed saving from your sin. from there, talk about when you received Jesus Christ and his payment for that sin in faith. talk about how your life has looked different ever since your proclamation that Jesus is Lord over your life. finally, walk through those moments in the lives of others around you.)
Prayer Prompts For This Week:
– Pray for the forgiveness of God to be evident to us in the times that we think first of the sins of others before we are aware of our own sins. Pray that God would reveal to us that our sin is foremost against Him (Psalm 51:4).
– Pray that sin would be confessed and forgiveness would be understood from the perspective of God.
– Continue to pray for one another and write down or remember the requests of each person. Either have one person pray over each request, or delegate those prayer requests so that each person prays for something or someone specific.