Passage for this week: 1 Corinthians 6:13-20
Resource: Pray The Word Podcast by David Platt
How to use this resource: The questions below should be read after you and your family have spent time listening to the resource, and after you have had time to read through the passage carefully and slowly. Following your family time discussion (using the questions below, or your own questions regarding this text), close in prayer and ask your kids how you can be praying for them and let them know how they can be praying for you as parents.
Family Devotional Question For This Week:
1. What stands out to you the most from reading this passage? What did you learn that is new to you from this passage? What did you learn that caused you to remember something you’ve known, or what has been reinforced from reading this passage?
2. What is reciprocal about this passage? Where is Paul calling Christians to live a certain way because of what Jesus has done?
(Potential answers: Paul is clear about what our bodies are to be for – the glorification of Jesus Christ, as a temple of the Holy Spirit, which indwells each believer! Because we are not our own, because we have been bought with a price, we should seek to glorify God with our bodies. David sums this up by saying “we belong to God… Jesus gave his life so we would be united with Him forever… may we then glorify God forever with our bodies”!)
3. HOW do we glorify God with our bodies?
(Potential answers: David explains that because Jesus has paid the price for all your sin against Him, we can live free from sin in Christ. Because Jesus has paid the price to defeat sin’s power over you, You are then free, in Christ. You have power over sin. Do not believe the lie that you cannot overcome sin, David exclaims. It is true that Jesus died on the cross to prove otherwise that HE alone has power that defeats death and conquers sin. So, we seek the help of Christ with the Mind and Power of Christ to conquer any impurities in our bodies, minds and other areas of our lives as we seek to give God glory!)
Prayer Prompts For This Week:
– Pray for God’s conquering power in Christ to conquer sinful thoughts, actions, deeds, desires, relationships and any other moments in our lives where we are seeking to glorify Christ.
– Pray that as we understand we are joined to Christ and are representatives of Jesus Christ with our bodies, that we would also experience the fulness of Christ and not any sense of ‘missing out’ as others may say.
– Continue to pray for one another and write down or remember the requests of each person. Either have one person pray over each request, or delegate those prayer requests so that each person prays for something or someone specific.